Cybils Awards 2014 Nominations Now Open
Since 2006, the Cybils Awards have celebrated the work of children’s and Young Adult authors and illustrators, by bringing together book bloggers to choose their stand-out titles of the year. In 2011 a Book App category was added for the first time. You can find out more about the awards process, the different categories, and this year’s judges at www.cybils.com
I really enjoyed being on the judging panel for Book Apps in 2012 & 2013 and can’t wait to see who makes it through to the finals in early 2015. If you would like to nominate, here’s what you need to know:
- Fiction or nonfiction
- Any age from preschool to young adult
- Must be available for iPad and listed in the iTunes App Store
- iBooks are not eligible
- Contains interactivity which enhances the story without distracting readers or disrupting the flow of the narrative
- Original release date between 16 October 2013 & 15 October 2014 (use appshopper.com to check)
- One nomination per person (in each Cybils category)
- Each app can only be nominated once
The deadline is 15 October 2014 via the Cybils Nominations Page. Authors/illustrators and publishers will also be able to nominate books for a short period after public nominations have closed.
I’ve nominated Jack and the Beanstalk by Nosy Crow. It’s a fantastic example of how reading and gaming can be brought together in one place, and successfully extends Nosy Crow’s range of apps towards readers aged 6 to 8. I haven’t downloaded many book apps this year, but we particularly enjoyed PJs PJs – Giraffes by Ink Robin, Hat Monkey by Fox & Sheep/Chris Haughton, and for older readers Love, the App by Pablo Curti which won a prize at the 2014 Bologna Book Fair. If you also enjoyed these, perhaps you could nominate one of them. Or let me know what you’ll be nominating in a comment below.